Trending

#85ThingsaboutDIAS

Latest posts tagged with #85ThingsaboutDIAS on Bluesky

Latest Top
Trending

Posts tagged #85ThingsaboutDIAS

Image 1.
Once complete the ADH Telescope was installed in Boyden Observatory in Bloemfontein, South Africa in 1950. It was the largest Schmidt telescope in the Southern Hemisphere in the 1950s.

Image 1. Once complete the ADH Telescope was installed in Boyden Observatory in Bloemfontein, South Africa in 1950. It was the largest Schmidt telescope in the Southern Hemisphere in the 1950s.

The 36 inch Schmidt telescope was financed by a  £5,000 grant from each Armagh, Dunsink and Harvard, and was built by the Perkin-Elmer Corporation in the US.

The 36 inch Schmidt telescope was financed by a £5,000 grant from each Armagh, Dunsink and Harvard, and was built by the Perkin-Elmer Corporation in the US.

✨#24 of #85ThingsAboutDIAS

In 1950 the ADH Telescope was installed, it was the largest Schmidt telescope in the Southern Hemisphere in the 1950s. The 36 inch Schmidt telescope was built by the Perkin-Elmer Corporation, financed by a £5,000 grant from Armagh, Dunsink and Harvard.

#DIASdiscovers

3 1 0 0
The Armagh-Dunsink-Harvard (ADH) Agreement

In 1948 DIAS Dunsink was central to what was the first ever inter-governmental agreement between the two parts of Ireland, and the first international agreement to operate a shared observing facility in the southern hemisphere. This pioneering collaboration linked Armagh Observatory and Dunsink Observatory with Harvard University under an agreement to build and operate a large Schmidt telescope at the Boyden Observatory in South Africa.

The Armagh-Dunsink-Harvard (ADH) Agreement In 1948 DIAS Dunsink was central to what was the first ever inter-governmental agreement between the two parts of Ireland, and the first international agreement to operate a shared observing facility in the southern hemisphere. This pioneering collaboration linked Armagh Observatory and Dunsink Observatory with Harvard University under an agreement to build and operate a large Schmidt telescope at the Boyden Observatory in South Africa.

✨#23 of #85ThingsAboutDIAS
ADH Agreement

In 1948 DIAS was central to the first ever inter-governmental agreement between the 2 parts of Ireland. This pioneering collaboration linked Armagh & Dunsink Observatory with Harvard under an agreement to build a Schmidt telescope at Boyden in South Africa

1 0 0 0
No. 5 Merrion Square was personally selected by Taoiseach Éamon de Valera as the premises for the School of Cosmic Physics. The building had previously been owned by Dr Robert Farnan, a Dáil Deputy and family friend. Apparently the house had been a refuge for de Valera on a number of occasions when he was on the run during the War of Independence. 
No.5 now houses the Geophysics section of DIAS.

No. 5 Merrion Square was personally selected by Taoiseach Éamon de Valera as the premises for the School of Cosmic Physics. The building had previously been owned by Dr Robert Farnan, a Dáil Deputy and family friend. Apparently the house had been a refuge for de Valera on a number of occasions when he was on the run during the War of Independence. No.5 now houses the Geophysics section of DIAS.

Receipt for the purchase of No. 5 by Dr. Robert Farnan from Lady Stokes in 1903 for £2,400. His son Patrick Farnan gifted the receipt of purchase to the DIAS archive in 2015.

Receipt for the purchase of No. 5 by Dr. Robert Farnan from Lady Stokes in 1903 for £2,400. His son Patrick Farnan gifted the receipt of purchase to the DIAS archive in 2015.

✨ #15 of 85 Things About DIAS - No. 5 Merrion Square

No. 5 Merrion Square was personally selected by Taoiseach Éamon de Valera as the premises for the School of Cosmic Physics. It now houses the Geophysics section of DIAS.

#DIASdiscovers #85ThingsaboutDIAS #DIAS85

2 0 0 0
In 1949 after years of painstaking restoration to the buildings, re-cataloguing of the library and an overhaul of out of date equipment, Hermann Brück head of the Astronomy section instituted monthly ‘open days’ whereby the public could visit the Observatory. The first official visitor was Éamon de Valera in January 1949, who was delighted that his cherished project of rehabilitating the observatory was a success.

In 1949 after years of painstaking restoration to the buildings, re-cataloguing of the library and an overhaul of out of date equipment, Hermann Brück head of the Astronomy section instituted monthly ‘open days’ whereby the public could visit the Observatory. The first official visitor was Éamon de Valera in January 1949, who was delighted that his cherished project of rehabilitating the observatory was a success.

Since its doors first opened to the public in the 1800’s, Dunsink Observatory has welcomed curious stargazers and continuously sought avenues for public outreach. That tradition continues under DIAS with our visitor nights. The public is welcomed to tour the main building and dome, as well as enjoy talks, demos, and weather-permitting stargazing through the historic Grubb telescope (pictured). Keep an eye out for tickets going live on the DIAS Dunsink Eventbrite page!

Since its doors first opened to the public in the 1800’s, Dunsink Observatory has welcomed curious stargazers and continuously sought avenues for public outreach. That tradition continues under DIAS with our visitor nights. The public is welcomed to tour the main building and dome, as well as enjoy talks, demos, and weather-permitting stargazing through the historic Grubb telescope (pictured). Keep an eye out for tickets going live on the DIAS Dunsink Eventbrite page!

✨ #14 of 85 Things About DIAS - Dunsink Open Days

In 1949 after years of restoration to Hermann Brück head of the section instituted monthly ‘open days’ whereby the public could visit the Observatory. The first official visitor was Éamon de Valera in January 1949.

#DIASdiscovers #85ThingsaboutDIAS

1 1 0 0
Leo W. Pollak 
First Head of Geophysics Section in the School of Cosmic Physics

The School of Cosmic Physics comprises two main disciplines: Geophysics and Astronomy & Astrophysics. Professor Leo Pollak was appointed Director of the School and Head of the Geophysics Section in 1947. Prof Pollak’s history of strong support for the benefits of geophysical research had long been clear, in 1943 he had sent a memorandum to the Department of the Taoiseach, where he stressed the lack of training and research in geophysics, arguing that “to change this situation, not only unworthy of a cultivated and civilised nation but also injurious to its economic life, the establishment of a school for geophysics is proposed.” His vision was realised four years later with the founding of the School of Cosmic Physics and its Geophysics Section.

Leo W. Pollak First Head of Geophysics Section in the School of Cosmic Physics The School of Cosmic Physics comprises two main disciplines: Geophysics and Astronomy & Astrophysics. Professor Leo Pollak was appointed Director of the School and Head of the Geophysics Section in 1947. Prof Pollak’s history of strong support for the benefits of geophysical research had long been clear, in 1943 he had sent a memorandum to the Department of the Taoiseach, where he stressed the lack of training and research in geophysics, arguing that “to change this situation, not only unworthy of a cultivated and civilised nation but also injurious to its economic life, the establishment of a school for geophysics is proposed.” His vision was realised four years later with the founding of the School of Cosmic Physics and its Geophysics Section.

Hermann A. Brück
First Head of Astronomy Section in the School of Cosmic Physics 

The School of Cosmic Physics is divided into broad sections of study, Astronomy & Astrophysics and Geophysics. In 1947, at the invitation of An Taoiseach Éamon de Valera, Prof Brück took charge as Head of the DIAS Astronomy section. After Dunsink Observatory was transferred to state ownership and attached to The Institute, Brück transformed it into a centre of modern observational technique, installing a large solar telescope and spectrograph as its principal instruments.

Hermann A. Brück First Head of Astronomy Section in the School of Cosmic Physics The School of Cosmic Physics is divided into broad sections of study, Astronomy & Astrophysics and Geophysics. In 1947, at the invitation of An Taoiseach Éamon de Valera, Prof Brück took charge as Head of the DIAS Astronomy section. After Dunsink Observatory was transferred to state ownership and attached to The Institute, Brück transformed it into a centre of modern observational technique, installing a large solar telescope and spectrograph as its principal instruments.

✨ #11 & #12 of 85 Things About DIAS -

The first Heads of Section in the School of Cosmic Physics

#DIASdiscovers #85thingsaboutdias #dias85

1 0 0 0
Osborn J. Bergin was the first director of the School of Celtic Studies. He was a scholar of the Irish language and early Irish literature, who discovered what is now known as Bergin's law. The Bergin Fellowship Scheme, still in place within the school honours him as one of the outstanding Irish scholars of his generation.

Osborn J. Bergin was the first director of the School of Celtic Studies. He was a scholar of the Irish language and early Irish literature, who discovered what is now known as Bergin's law. The Bergin Fellowship Scheme, still in place within the school honours him as one of the outstanding Irish scholars of his generation.

Erwin Schrödinger was the director of the School of Theoretical Physics for the best part of 17 years. Having escaped Nazi occupation in 1939, he helped then Taoiseach Éamon de Valera establish the institute and in 1943 gave his famous ‘What is life?’ public lecture which would help inspire Wilkins, Watson and Crick.

Erwin Schrödinger was the director of the School of Theoretical Physics for the best part of 17 years. Having escaped Nazi occupation in 1939, he helped then Taoiseach Éamon de Valera establish the institute and in 1943 gave his famous ‘What is life?’ public lecture which would help inspire Wilkins, Watson and Crick.

✨ #9 & #10 of 85 Things About DIAS -

The first Directors of the School of Celtic Studies and the School of Theoretical Physics

#DIASdiscovers #85ThingsaboutDIAS #DIAS85

8 6 0 0
In 1947 DIAS staff, visiting researchers and Council members attended a reception at Áras an Uachtaráin, hosted by President Seán T.Ó Ceallaigh and his wife Phyllis Bean Úi Cheallaigh.
Pictured Front Row: Monsignor Patrick de Brún (Council Chair), Prof C.Møller, Prof Heitler, Prof Conway, An tUachtarán (S.T.Ó Ceallaigh), Bean Úi Ceallaigh, Prof Pollak and Prof Janossy.
Back Row: Profs Schrödinger, Powell. J.J. Nolan, Born, Fröhlich and Mr. MacGrianna.

In 1947 DIAS staff, visiting researchers and Council members attended a reception at Áras an Uachtaráin, hosted by President Seán T.Ó Ceallaigh and his wife Phyllis Bean Úi Cheallaigh. Pictured Front Row: Monsignor Patrick de Brún (Council Chair), Prof C.Møller, Prof Heitler, Prof Conway, An tUachtarán (S.T.Ó Ceallaigh), Bean Úi Ceallaigh, Prof Pollak and Prof Janossy. Back Row: Profs Schrödinger, Powell. J.J. Nolan, Born, Fröhlich and Mr. MacGrianna.

Pictured in attendance by The Irish Press, Taoiseach Eamon de Valera, Prof P.M Dirac visiting researcher and Prof L. Janossy of DIAS School of Theoretical Physics.

Pictured in attendance by The Irish Press, Taoiseach Eamon de Valera, Prof P.M Dirac visiting researcher and Prof L. Janossy of DIAS School of Theoretical Physics.

✨ #8 of 85 Things About DIAS – 1947 Reception at Áras an Uachtaráin

In 1947 DIAS staff, visiting researchers and Council members attended a reception at Áras an Uachtaráin, hosted by President Seán T.Ó Ceallaigh and his wife Phyllis Bean Úi Cheallaigh.

#DIASdiscovers #85thingsaboutdias #DIAS85

2 1 0 0



In May 1946 Celtica,  the peer-reviewed journal of the DIAS School of Celtic Studies made its first appearance. The first volume of the journal marked the launch of a dedicated outlet for high-level research in Celtic studies, covering linguistics, literature, manuscript studies, history, law, dialect studies and onomastics. The journal examines all of the Celtic languages and periods from the earliest inscriptions to the spoken languages of the present day. Celtica has been a flagship for Celtic Scholarship from the outset.

In May 1946 Celtica, the peer-reviewed journal of the DIAS School of Celtic Studies made its first appearance. The first volume of the journal marked the launch of a dedicated outlet for high-level research in Celtic studies, covering linguistics, literature, manuscript studies, history, law, dialect studies and onomastics. The journal examines all of the Celtic languages and periods from the earliest inscriptions to the spoken languages of the present day. Celtica has been a flagship for Celtic Scholarship from the outset.

✨ #6 of 85 Things About DIAS – Celtica Volume 1

In May 1946 Celtica, the peer-reviewed journal of the DIAS School of Celtic Studies made its first appearance. Covering linguistics, literature, manuscript studies, history, law, dialect studies & onomastics

#DIASDiscovers #dias85 #85thingsaboutdias

8 3 0 0
Post image Post image

✨ # 4&5 of 85 Things About DIAS

The first Colloquium of the DIAS School of Theoretical Physics was held in July 1942. The topic of the Colloquium was a combination of relativity and quantum theory.
Swipe to view the original conference visitor log.

#DIASDiscovers #DIAS85 #85ThingsAboutDIAS

2 0 0 0

The Headquarters of DIAS moved to 10 Burlington Rd in 1971. Since then it has housed the School of Theoretical Physics and the Admin sections of the Institute, with the School of Celtic Studies in the adjoining nineteenth century building. No. 10 is considered an outstanding example of early 1970's architecture, designed by Sam Stephenson and is now a protected structure.

The Headquarters of DIAS moved to 10 Burlington Rd in 1971. Since then it has housed the School of Theoretical Physics and the Admin sections of the Institute, with the School of Celtic Studies in the adjoining nineteenth century building. No. 10 is considered an outstanding example of early 1970's architecture, designed by Sam Stephenson and is now a protected structure.

✨ #3 of 85 Things About DIAS – DIAS Headquarters

#DIASDiscovers #DIAS85 #85ThingsAboutDIAS

1 0 0 0
First Council Meeting:
The Council for the Institute fir Advanced Studies held its first meeting in Government Buildings on the 15 October 1940. An Taoiseach Éamon de Valera attended the meeting and was pictures with members of the Council.
The Irish Press published an article on this in October 1940.

First Council Meeting: The Council for the Institute fir Advanced Studies held its first meeting in Government Buildings on the 15 October 1940. An Taoiseach Éamon de Valera attended the meeting and was pictures with members of the Council. The Irish Press published an article on this in October 1940.

✨ #2 of 85 Things About DIAS

#DIASDiscovers #DIAS85 #85ThingsAboutDIAS

4 2 1 0
Caption reads: Establishment Announcement, in 1940, championed by Taoiseach Éamonn de Valera the Institute for Advanced Studies Act was enacted. These newspaper clippings from the Irish Press and the Sunday Express outline the structures and objectives of the IAS Bill as presented to the Dáil.

Pictured: Press Clippings March 1940

Caption reads: Establishment Announcement, in 1940, championed by Taoiseach Éamonn de Valera the Institute for Advanced Studies Act was enacted. These newspaper clippings from the Irish Press and the Sunday Express outline the structures and objectives of the IAS Bill as presented to the Dáil. Pictured: Press Clippings March 1940

✨ #1 of 85 Things About DIAS!

#DIAS85 #DIASdiscovers #85ThingsAboutDIAS

2 0 0 1